Thursday, May 7, 2009

Angel Mother

I have often heard General Authorities speak of their "Angel Mother" and I think to myself, "No wonder he is a Man of God, his mother is a Saint". Then I would know for sure my son would never say that about me.

When he was a little boy he loved me sooooo much. He would pick me flowers from where ever he went. Sometimes my friends would call me after watching him and tell me how much he loved me. He would have to get me a flower from their yard. I just knew he loved me. It was awesome!

Fast forward and he is 15. He can't help but let me know his dissatisfaction with the Mother he is stuck with. I am " Lazy, Unsuccessful, Way too Strict, Dumb, Boring, Stuffy, and totally Uncool" This goes on for 4 years. I do become a little defensive but for the most part I pretty much agreed with him. What happened to the awesome mother I used to be. I missed her. Why am I a mother in the first place? I am not good at it.

Let's just say I paid my Dues. I just got the coolest box in the Mail from my Missionary 20 year old son. It was from him to me for Mother's day. All kinds of cool and fun things were in the box. My favorite being the Cherry blossom stem he picked for me, placed in a tissue and wrapped in a gift box. To top that off he wrote me the most amazing appreciation letter I never imagined receiving from him. I want to shout what he wrote from the roof tops but it might sound too much like bragging. However I will quote one line.

"I know God gave me to you because you are the perfect Mom for me. I am glad He knows what he is doing :)"

I almost feel sorry for the poor Moms who will hear him speak of his "Angel Mother" someday. They won't know it isn't true.

7 comments:

Rebekah said...

what an amazing son you have. his spiritual growth has been astounding. You are such an amazing mother. you're willing to go through crazyness to get your kids whats right.
:]

Karen said...

You are an amazing mother. I am blessed to know you. You have fantastic kids and I am glad you will have a Happy Mother's Day. you deserve it!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

Oh how I so relate to this!!

Quincy Sorensen said...

This touches me deeply, Shari. You ARE an Angel Mother. And I am so glad that Brendan expressed his love and appreciation to you because any mother would want that. (I'm snickering to myself though . . . how could anyone ever describe YOU as unsuccessful or lazy? I might get a complex just considering it . . . .)

Dawn, said...

At 15, jibberish is the key word. Now that he is a missionary he HAS to speak the truth, see? The truth is that you are a great mom, simple, sweet.

Kim Mayfield said...

That made me cry! You are such an awesome mom!!

And BTW... I miss you, too!!!

Kimberly Cone said...

Just today Asher told me that you are an Angel Gigi. I think he might be trying to keep his spot as the platinum child. ;-) Love ya!