Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The Grandpa Cradle

Placed on the wall in our bedroom is a very old chair. We call it the Grandpa chair because Clark's Great Grandfather made it for Clark's mother when she was a little girl. It's made of wood with a woven seat. It is in such disrepair. I love it. When Clark was little he claimed the chair as his own. It still has his faded initials which he wrote on the back of it with a black permanent marker. All three of my children loved that chair. They used it to learn how to sit in a chair. It has sawed off legs so it is just the right height for little ones.

We have a new Grandpa in our family now. Papa Clark must have inherited the ability to build things out of wood from his great grandfather. I love the wooden pieces he has made for me. Although he has the bare minimum of tools he always does a beautiful job. His newest creation is what we like to call "The Grandpa Cradle". He made it from a fallen tree that a local sawmill cut into rough lumber, then he planed each board to perfection.

I wonder who's initials will end up on it?


cradle#1

blackwhite cradle

cradle#2

12 comments:

danakat said...

The last picture made me cry. I almost can't stand myself, I'm so happy for you two to be grandparents! I love you guys.

And that cradle is FAB.YOU.LUS!!
Clark is amazing amazing amazing. You are too. Must be why you two are such a phenomenal pair.

BTW...I really miss you.

kg said...

I looove that cradle!!

Lisha said...

How beautiful! What a wonderful treasure!

Karen said...

Now that is priceless. Wow.

Quincy Sorensen said...

I am so impressed with Clark and that precious cradle! It was obviously a labor of love for his daughter and grandson. No doubt, it will be a source of story-telling along the way. A lovely gift.

Wendyrful said...

Thank you Shari for (finally) blogging this! You grandkids will all absolutely LOVE the grandpa cradle!!! It is gorgeous! Clark has a very real tallent and how wonderful to be able to bless his family with his tallent!
And I love the picture of Clark sitting on the porch, and that you tinted the picture to look old. It looks so cool...

Anonymous said...

Oh that turned out FANTASTIC and I am sure it will be loved for a VERY long time! I love the last picture. They look like best buds already! :)

Katie said...

Oh wow!! What a beautiful cradle! I just love you Kingsford's so much!! And little Asher is so sweet!! Hope you all are doing well, we pray for Brendan in the mission field!

PS the straw contraption on my blog is a pinwheel haha!

Natalie said...

This is an amazing treasure to have in the family! You and Clark are wonderful and very talented grandparents! Asher is a beautiful baby!

The Happy Haynie Family said...

The cradle is so beautiful!!!one to cherish that's for sure!

Jen said...

WOW! That cradle is absolutely GORGEOUS...really, it's beyond words.

I am SO excited that your daughter and her family are in my branch now! I met them today at church. We live right down the road from them. Small world, huh?!
:)

hope said...

Wow. He told me it was coming along at scouts. That is beautiful!