Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Letters From Home

Brendan left for Japan Monday August 20th. He called us from the LAX airport and we got to talk to him for an hour before he boarded the plane. We called Kendall at school for a conference call and then she called Kimberly at work and so we all chatted with him together. It was so good to hear his voice. He was so excited and a bit nervous. We got an email from him the next day and he said he had arrived in the mission home. He said he would email us the next day and we didn't hear from him. I had a feeling he wasn't doing too well. I do have that extra sensory perception when it comes to my children. Clark kept saying "don't worry he is fine". But I still felt anxious for what he might be going through. I got and email from him yesterday and I was right he was depressed some. He said that he felt he had been dropped off on an alien planet where all the aliens were doing a really bad job of pretending to be Americans. Then he read my last letter to him and he felt comforted. I feel that way so often when I read my scriptures. I feel like I am getting a letter from home and so many times an amazing feeling of comfort washes over me. I cried when I read his email but I am so glad that my letter made it to him before he left the MTC.
We have a blog set up for Brendan at www.elderbrendankingsford.blogspot.com. This is where we post parts of his letters and emails and pictures that he send us.

8 comments:

Karen said...

I sure hope he is doing better. He is a great young man. I enjoyed his blog. Thank you for sharing.

kmmclain said...

I also appreciate it. He was a nice young man to associate with in Young Womens/Mens. He will be a great missionary, and continue to set a great example for the youth.

Thank you for sharing his letters.

hope said...

I remember the way my mom was so in tune to my siblings that went on missions. Even when I moved across the country from her she was so perceptive to my feelings. I find myself slowly becoming that way, and I hope I can help and comfort my children when they become young adults, experiencing all that Satan throws this way.

Thanks for the comment. I can see you love photography as well. I love the blue birds. Hopefully I can gain more experience in the next couple years.

Shawn served in Korea for his mission. After he left, he kept a part of their culture with him, and we include it in our family dining and wedding traditions even now. Hopefully he will feel better soon.

Dawn, said...

I just can't imagine how unsettling it must be to adjust to a different language, culture, everything! He is sure to rely heavily on the Spirit's help in the next few weeks. We will pray for him, by name, as a family! And thank you for his blog!

timberlanemckees said...

Hey Shari !
Raleigh Sorensen does indeed look just like his mommy . . . strange! It's been far too long, girl! Elder Kingsford. Mrs. Cone. Gads I'm getting OLD!
Love you!
Vera

Lisa said...

What a great idea with the blog. Great thinking!!

Quincy Sorensen said...

Shari, this is a great idea. I am going to tell Kirk to check it out, too. I miss seeing you and am always glad to know a litte bit more about how you're doing.

Wendyrful said...

Thanks for sharing Elder Kingsford's messages. I can so hear him talking, and I'm trying to imagine and remember what it is like in Japan. It is fun to read his blog.
And I miss Japanese food!!! (some of it);-)